Murdered pregnant mum to finally be laid to rest 23 years after husband killed her

Tragic murder victim Debbie Griggs, who was killed by her husband more than two decades ago is finally set to be laid to rest after her remains were discovered last month.

The mother-of-three, who was pregnant at the time of her death aged 34, was reported missing from the family home in Deal, Kent by spouse Andrew in May 1999.

Her Peugeot 309 was found abandoned days after her disappearance, 1.3 miles from their home in Cross Road, Walmer.

Businessman Andrew, now 59, always maintained his innocence, but was eventually found guilty of murder and jailed for life in October 2019 following a review by cold case detectives from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate.

Andrew, along with the couple’s three children had moved to a new property St Leonards, Dorset in 2001 following the conclusion of the initial investigation into Debbie’s whereabouts – and it was here where the gruesome discovery was made after police acted on newly received information.

Specialist officers and staff began a forensic search of the back garden of the property on October 5 this year, where they discovered human remains including teeth fragments.

Specialist odontologists were subsequently able to confirm the fragments belonged to Debbie, during a post-mortem examination nine days later.

Debbie’s funeral is now set to take place in Canterbury on November 25 – some 23 years after her murder.

Following the discovery of Debbie’s remains, sister Wendie Rowlinson, who now lives in New Zealand, took to Facebook to confirm the news.

“Yes it is true. My sister has been found,” she wrote.

“In short, two years after he murdered her, he moved house and actually took her with him. Then buried her in the back yard.

“PM confirmed it definitely her, plus her unborn (18 week) son. Lots of unbelievable nasty details.

“But for me, the most unbelievable is that he took her to the new house. I truly don’t think any murderer has done that before.

“No, I’m not on the same planet as everyone else, but I’m doing ok considering that I’ve actually been discombobulated with all this.”

Detective Chief Inspector Neil Kimber, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, meanwhile, said officers are still trying to ascertain further circumstances including how Andrew transported Debbie from Kent to Dorset two years after he murdered her.

“Following the discovery of Debbie Griggs’ remains in Dorset in October 2022, we are continuing to carry out enquiries to establish how they came to be buried there,” he said.

“This includes where they had been kept during the time between Debbie’s disappearance in May 1999 and when Andrew Griggs moved to the property in July 2001.

“Whilst we were able to confirm the remains belonged to Debbie during a post-mortem examination, further tests are still required to establish if it is possible to determine the cause of her death.

“In the meantime, Debbie’s remains have been released to members of her family so she can now finally be laid to rest.

“We will continue to keep both the Crown Prosecution Service and Debbie’s family updated on the progress of our ongoing enquiries.”